Chipping

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 11:38:18 EDT

 jhunt@geocities.com writes:

<< I'm almost done with my first restringing and would appreciate some
 input on how to do the initial pitch raise. The method described in
 Reblitz' book to properly load the soundboard calls for using an ETD (or
 some type of chromatic tuner), which I don't have. So I'm looking for an
 aural tuning shceme.

 Thanks in advance. >>

There are two ways I might suggest.  If you have all of your notes marked,
 simply start with your A4, pull it up to pitch and perhaps a little beyond (8
 bps), pull up all the other A's, then move to the next note of your usual
 temperament pattern or move in the cycle of 5ths and pull up all the notes
 across the piano each time.  This will load the board very evenly.

Another way is to use a common pitch pipe.  Whether you tune the whole unison
 at once or just one string then pull up the unisons really won't matter much.
 necessary.  You do need to have a good musical ear if using a pitch pipe.  I
 don't have any problem with it at all but others I have tried to train
 sometimes just can't get it.  You blow the note, retain the pitch in your
 mind, pull the strings up to the pitch you remember or perhaps just a bit
 sharp of it, particularly in the treble and high treble.

Don't worry about precision in chip tuning.  This operation is solely for
 applying the first rough tension on the strings.  No matter what you do, the
 piano will be *violently* out of tune when you get the action ready for the
 first real tuning.  New wire is very unstable and you will not have the
 benefit of the action for settling the strings and creating a real tuning.

Your first rough tunings can also be quite sharp.  25¢ is common practice.
 This will mean that you can tune your A4 a good 8 beats above pitch the first
 couple of times.  The pitch will naturally fall quite quickly afterwards.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin