Servicing new players

Brian L. Daley tunerselbow@earthlink.net
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 15:07:22 -0400

Dear List,
        To anyone out there contend with/service pianos that have =
pnodsk, pnomation, cncertmstr etc., installations:  I'm wondering about =
the effects on the  piano others are finding this ever growing factor of =
piano servicing.  I get a number of pianos with these systems installed. =
 Some are factory, some are subcontract. I'm not an installer/servicer =
of these systems, nor do I want to be at this point, although the $ is =
extremely good.  But I still service/tune the piano itself.  Any service =
required on the system is referred back to the dealer and/or installer.  =

    For example, one customer has an upright Baldwin E250 w/QRS(?) I =
believe, and there ain't no way of replacing bass strings without =
creating a nightmare, or calling the installer to remove system units =
inside the bottom of the piano.  Ther's simply too much in the way (I =
would hesitate to remove anything just to exclude myself from any =
potential disaster lurking)  What a fiasco for a bass string replacement =
if/when the time comes, not to mention cost!   I think that alot of =
people who buy pianos with these systems are either uniformed or give no =
consideration of servicing down the road.  Another problem would include =
blocking any chance of the installation of a proper climate control =
system, particularly on grands, especially if a humidifier is needed. =20
    Another issue with grands.  Certain brands of piano use materials =
that do not allow for a quiet action, and a new player installation can =
greatly magnify existing action noise simply by the way the pistons play =
the action.  A lot more noise occurs on an already "noisy"  piano when =
the system plays it, as opposed to a person activating the action.  I've =
spoken with a system installer on a particularly troublesome piano, and =
have come to the conclusion that if he's confident that it's not the =
system, all I can do is recuce action noise as best as possible.  Any =
thoughts on these or other problems with servicing these pianos?  Much =
appreciated! =20

Brian=20
W.Plm Bch, FL