shellac tips needed

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 03:58:50 -0500

I refinished an oak Howard upright circa the 20's.  1915 actually.  I used
orange shellac for the first time and I really like the results. There
were problems with a residual black dye.  Of course it wasn't true black,
it shows green in harsh sunlight at the right angle. But the orange
covered it nicely and gave the oak that rich redish amber color like on
old round oak tables found in many midwest farm kitchens.
One side I got it blotchy too much shellac in places.  Can I rub this out
with an alcohol rag?  Or should I strip it off and start again.  Because
of the blotchy looking veneer I tried feathering to get it darker in some
places but I got it too thick and want to take it down.

Any suggestions?    I am working with 3 lb cut from a quart can. Zinsser
Bullseye.

Richard Moody