Update on HT Concert

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:26:32 -0500 (CDT)

List,

   Ed Foote posted me today asking about the HT concert and I realized I
hadn't given any report on it yet. Also, I want to express my appreciation
to those who helped and/or encouraged me to "go for it".
   Below is an most of my reply to Ed:

>     I have not yet heard how the Mozart went on the Well Temperament.  I am
>particularly interested in audience reaction, if there was any?

   Actually, I didn't hear anything from anyone who didn't already know
about it. I had told a few faculty and a few others heard about it from
them. All
the comments were favorable, i.e. the piano sounded great; I couldn't
really tell much difference; etc.
   The harpsichord teacher, who does all his own tuning (HT's) unless he has
to use ET for something, made the comment that about the only time he could
tell much difference was at the end of a cadenza in the 2nd movement (I
believe it was). There were a few chords that got a good bit away from the
'simple'
keys and he said they sounded a little "rougher" than what he was used to
hearing. He liked it though, and enjoyed the different colors, etc.
   After the concert, the pianist made the comment to me about how much she
had enjoyed doing it and that it somehow made her feel closer to the
composer and his music. I had stressed pretty much that that was the type
of tuning that
was being used and that Mozart had composed for, so that probably contributed
to that comment. As far as I know, the orchestra was never even told about
it and that was the last concert so I never got a chance to do it. Everyone
checked out and went home the next day.
   All in all, I guess it could be considered a success. I mentioned to the
pianist that I would like to do some more of that type of thing this next
school year with some of her students who will be giving recitals, even if
we have to use two pianos. On those, I could probably work up a little
something
to use as a handout along with the program. I feel the students need to
start knowing about what they're hearing. Then if they don't like HT's,
they'll have something to base that opinion on. Some others might really
enjoy it and want
to do it on their recitals. Time will tell.
   I've also talked to a good viola player here about it and he said he would
be interested. It'll be a Masters' recital and he doesn't know for sure
what he'll be playing yet, but at least he seemed very interested.
   This is also something that might be good for a Doctoral Lecture Recital
if someone would get interested enough to do the research to be able to
talk intelligently about HT's. Ed's CD liner notes would probably be a good
place
to start. :-)
   Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll probably be asking again.

Regards,
Avery

P.S. There's a performance of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana (sp?) this Friday.
I went into the hall today to check on something. The accompanists were
rehearsing and I discovered that they are going to use *both* pianos to
accompany it. No one had told me about it yet and the "HT" piano has not
yet been retuned!! I wonder how Orff would sound in Well Temperment?  :-)

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893