damper guide rail bushings

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:30:11

I do it about the way Ron does, except I use a #7 bridge pin. Seems to end
up just the right size most of the time. Try a sample with each size, and
see which ends up the closest. I wet them with alcohol (ever helpful vodka)
and let them sit overnight with the bridge pins in. Seems to work.

I started doing them this way after reading a Bill Spurlock article in the
Journal awhile back.

Susan

At 04:39 PM 7/14/98 -0500, Ron wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>
>I've had pretty good luck bushing the holes as usual (tight), and inserting
>a #6 bridge pin. After the glue dries, pull a pin and try a damper wire in
>the hole. This is often adequate. If it's too tight, re-insert the bridge
>pin and wet the bushings with an alcohol/water mix. Heat the whole mess with
>a hair drier, heat gun, or bake it in the oven (conventional) at about 250
>degrees for an hour or until dry. Serve with a light red wine. The wires
>should be a pretty close fit after this. If they are still too tight, you
>can iron them out with a hot damper wire. Put the cool wire through a
>bushing, heat the end, and pull it back out relatively slowly. the results
>will depend on how tight the bushing was, how hot the wire is, and how long
>the hot section was in the bushing. Be patient, be careful, and pay
>attention. Check sizing with a cold wire from time to time to make sure it's
>working. There are about a billion ways to do this, all of which work under
>certain circumstances. This went through the list a few months ago. Check
>the archives.
>
>Ron
>

>At 07:21 AM 7/14/98 EDT, you wrote:
>>List
>>
>>Sorry I could not make the convention this year. Hope you had a great one. I
>>was called by a client to take "the rattle out" of their grand piano. Turns
>>out that the damper guide rail bushings are hard as rocks, many of them worn
>>out-all need replacing. What's a good way to size the new felt bushings.
The
>>damper wires mike to an average of .0725". Is it best to be at that size
when
>>new or slightly larger? I've replaced bushings in the past, but it was
always
>>to match existing sizes. This piano needs a whole set, and I have nothing to
>>go by. All your "guidence" will be appreciated.  Thanks.
>>
>>Paul Chick RPT
>>Plainview MN
>>

> Ron
Susan Kline