tapping tuning pins

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:25:16 -0500

I thought all the pros and cons had been exhausted in the tuning pin
tightner debate.  But one aspect has not been brought up that I know of.

----------
> From: Robert Goodale <Robert.Goodale@nau.edu>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Interesting topic
> Date: Tuesday, July 14, 1998 12:27 AM
>
> John J. Kowalski wrote:
> >
> > I had always been allerted that you should never tap or hammer-in
loose pins.

> I have absolutely no problem with tapping in pins whatsoever.
> As far as liquid pin tightener goes, I say no, no, no, no, no, no. (Did
> I say no?) > I have never applied this stuff to a piano which gave
lasting results,

That position is understandable, however I and others have very good
results with TP tightner, in particular Garfields. So might I add one more
option?

> I say, if the block has gotten to the point where you have to >dump
> liquid goo into it then it's time for restringing, a new
> block/rebuilding, or a trip out to the ol' wood pile.

If the piano isn't worth it or the client can't afford, or defer's the
expense, the other option is to recommend a technician who has had success
with tuning pin treatment. There are techs who claim good results with CA
also, but that is something I havn't had much luck with. However I
wouldn't hesitate to refer a such a tech if I thought the block were
beyond conventional treatment. You never know, I might just tag along and
maybe learn something.

Richard Moody