Inharmonicity in strings. JWC

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:03:10 -0500

> PS You may forward this to the list if you wish. JWC

Your suggestion is an honor. (the following is ever so slightly altered
and edited for clarity,NOTES were added)

Thank you Jim Coleman for your interest, research, and efforts to pass the
tuning tradition on...
Richard Moody

----------
> From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu>
> To: Richard Moody <remoody@easnet.net>
> Subject: Re: Inharmonicity in strings
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 9:46 AM

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Richard Moody wrote:
> > Hi Jim
> > 	Thanks for writing back.
> > > 	Glad to hear about the tune off.  Were you the third participant?

Jim...
> No, I was not in it. This was basically a potpourri  of historical
> tunings.

Richard...
> Baily Well, would that be Paul Baily of New Hampshire?  Is that the one
you
> > tuned?

Jim...
> This Paul Bailey lives in California for several years.

Richard...
> > The other two must have been seven footers also. To me the B has such
> > fantastic sound.  Is it true he only tunes by fifths and doesn't use
> > thirds for checks. There was those posts a little while back, that
were
> > rather scathing.  Maybe I didn't read carefully enough, but a lot of
posts
> > I just glance at...
		[RICHARD notes,  amends were made...... ]

Jim...
> There were various 6 and 7 footers. The Walter piano was designed by Del
> Fandrich. An unusually fine piano.
	[RICHARD notes---hmm Walter Piano, Frandrich action, I have heard so many
good things. Send a cheque real quick  from the advertizing agency.][ it
beat out a B??--- wait till I show up...: )]

Richard...
> > 	One of these days I will get to listen to a HT like a tuner.  I just
> > can't imagine how they get around the wolf.  It should stick out like
> > sore thumb with the temp strip in going through checks.  I am still at
the
> > stage where I cannot see why any one would want to tune a modern piano
any
> > way but ET.
		[NOTE.. What an arrogant polemic, but don't over look its merits.  rm ]

Jim...
> Bill hides the wolf in several places but still has some sonorities
which
> help the overall sound. Then he stretched the top C8 to 77 cents high
along
> with other judicial stretches which make the piano fit together better.
He
> tunes in general aurally, but uses measured interval checks with the
> machine.

Richard...
>    Oh sure HT's are a curiosity at the moment, and made possible
> > by the tuning machines, which should insure consistancy sooner than
aural
> > tuners could get.  I am all for offering them to  public and the music
> > profession.  I am sure some will compose in them, and I am wondering
how
> > the jazz people will react.  I can also see interest, because I
am---in the
> > digital's that play midi files and will accept, altered tunings.  The
> > interest for me is to hear Bach played in a number of HT's and then
again
> > in ET.  But how could this be done, unless you had a concert hall with
4
> > pianos tuned differently?

Jim...
> There were six different pianos. A fine pianist and technician, Karen
> Hudson-Brown played the same pieces on each piano. Each person, who
tuned,
> had an opportunity to explain why he like the particular tuning best.

poor Richard...
 > > If I had the playing ability that's how I would
> > want to do it, go from piano to piano, temperament to temperament
playing
> > the piece and listening for the differences.And I can imagine where it
> > might become "been there, done that" real fast.   We will just have to
> > see.  Oh,, and the historical accuracy issue will always be present.
I know
> > I know, the HT's are being proposed for a lot more that period pieces.
No
> > bones there.
> >
> > Richard Moody

Jim...
>>> BTW, Bill Bremmer won the tuneoff with his Equal Beating Victorian
Well
> > > temperament against the Bailey Well and against Virgil's Smith's
Equal