Octaves?

Edward Carwithen musicman@eoni.com
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:46:14 -0700

First off, I am totally impressed with the erudition and knowledge of the
guys contributing to this list.  Today's answers to the sticking dampers on
Steinways.. Wow!

My problem is more mundane.

Tuning an old "Valley Gem" upright.  It's in pretty good condition, Atlas
says manufactured between 1895-1900.  The FAC on the Acutuner is
11.2-8.4-9.0.  That is consistent with what it measured last July when I
tuned it last.

 I generally tune chromatically, using the SAT, and check octaves,
consistent 3rds and 6ths, 5ths and 4ths as I go along.  When I got to G5,
and A5, the octaves sounded out by an abnormal number of beats.  I double
checked the G4 (while working on G5) and A4 (while working on A5), and the
lower octave was where I had put it, and was ok with rest of piano.  In
order to get an acceptable octave with G4, I had to lower G5 9 cents.  That
was still a bit on the wide side.  A5 was the same situation.  That made
the octaves sound all right, but the 3rd 10th test indicated that the upper
notes were way off.  I ended up compromising by tuning to the 3rd-10ths and
SAT, and living with a less than perfect sounding octave.  B5, and up .. no
problem.

  I did tap all the treble strings to the bridge before I started work on
the piano, as there was a tremendous amount of ringing the last time I did
the piano.  It helped with the single string ring.

  Any ideas as to why those two particular notes had such strange
properties????
Ed Carwithen
Oregon