Sticking Steinway dampers

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:57:06 +0000

Most likely dampers are hanging up on the sostenudo rail.  You
can check this by looking in at the tab/blade and see if this is
happening.  If this happening regulate Sostenudo!  Make sure the
dampers are not raising too far.  They should just raise to
slightly above the height of the dampers raised by the sostenudo
pedal.  If raising to high they can bind in the guide rail
bushings.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> From:          mmusial@acsworld.net (Mike Musial)
> Subject:       Sticking Steinway dampers
> Date:          Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:44:37 -0400

> Hello List
>
> I am experiencing a recurring problem when I tune newer Steinway grands.
> Sometimes when I apply a test blow while tuning, the damper (usually
> tenor/treble) will "hang" and not return to the string unless I tap it back
> down with my finger. From that point on, the damper seems to work fine until
> that note is played ff or louder, then it hangs again. In most instances I
> believe this hanging damper problem was not evident until I applied the test
> blow.
> I believe that the offending damper wires were initially rubbing against the
> guide rail bushing, but not hard enough to be affected by the friction. When
> I apply my test blow the damper wire bends somewhere along its length
> causing it to move deeper into the side of the bushing causing excessive
> friction, resulting in the hanging problem. Many times this hanging can be
> fixed by applying a VERY light film of protek on the damper wire itself (not
> the bushing). It seems more often than not, I must remove the offending
> damper and rebend the wire to allow it to move in the bushing freely. Once I
> do this the problem does not appear again.
>
> The real frustration here is when it is a relatively new piano being rented
> for a performance. I need to apply those test blows, but am always afraid
> they may set off a hanging damper, the repair of which seriously cuts into
> my allotted tuning time.
>
> Is this a common problem others have experienced? If not, I guess I must be
> forced to assume my test blows are applied a bit too enthusiastically, which
> I do not believe to be the case.
>
> Mike Musial RPT
> Reedsville Pa

David Ilvedson, RPT