stuck

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 00:52:40 -0500

>a stack which is too
> low,

Hey don't look at me. I got most of those shims back in the right place
after I retreived them from the vacuum cleaner. I tink.  I am not saying
this happened with a Steinway action, scues me, stack...(A stack is a
player piano unit)
But how could a stack be too low unless some one took it off and didn't
realize there were shims to shore it up?

Heheh  We will find ways to keep the Steinway techs posting to the lists
on a regular basis.

Richard Moody

----------
> From: tech@steinway.com
> To: 'pianotech@ptg.org'
> Subject: RE: stuck
> Date: Friday, July 24, 1998 10:22 AM
>
> Paul and List,
>
> This is a good one!  Three of us sat around this morning trying to
figure
> it out, and managed to come up with more questions than answers - e.g..
How
> old is the piano?  Are the repetitions original? Are the hammers glued
at
> the same place on the shank?  What is the keyheight?
>
> General consensus was that both problems are probably related to stack
> height and/or the new parts.  Larger Renner hammers, a stack which is
too
> low, and (if the reps are new) a change in the repetition profile could
all
> be the culprits.
>
> It does seem that the blow is narrow and dip is shallow.  These should
both
> be increased by lowering the capstans.  This will have the added benefit
of
> solving the jack problem (test this out on any action).  Making this
> adjustment with the backchecks out of the way should simplify and
clarify
> the situation.
>
> Unfortunately, it will aggravate the hammer/backcheck problem.  How high

> are the backchecks?  What is the distance between hammer tail and
backcheck
> at let-off (should be 1-2 mm)?  How much larger are the new hammers?
This