Explanation

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:44:24 -0500

Hi All,
	For those of you who are doubters about calling something that has a
common name and a lowly function, and trying to elevate it, here is my
reasoning:  I am out to elevate the purpose of a seemingly low priority
item and to elevate it to where I think it should be, at the top of my
thoughts, especially since, I have, myself, (probably too many commas, huh
Susan?) made them an art form.  By calling them the "techspeak" name of
PLTR's I have gotten many of you guys and ladies ears perked up and curious
enough for many to write back to see what the initials stand for.  This is
called HYPE. I even wrote a brochure about their purpose to hand out to my
clients to generate interest and questions. Have you noticed that much
advertising, especially by car dealers about all they talk about is price,
price, price and never why you need to buy THEIR brand of auto and how it
would benefit you to do so. Shouldn't they talk about why it is better to
buy a "Whatever" because of these functional reasons. In this business we
are in, you have to sometimes generate your own kind of excitement.
	 I have take the old form of a caster cup and elevated it to new heights,
from the bottom so to speak.  They are now not just a piece of wood, or
worse, plastic, but a beautiful piece of exotic wood that beautifies the
piano from the ground up and at the same time performs a vital service.
The finish I have placed on them is many times more beautiful than on some
of the newer instruments I have seen.  Do you notice how some of the new
models almost look like a solid color.  It is because they use shading
lacquers to get all their different types of wood to come out the same
color.  I have seen some instances, on benches, to where stain is not even
used, just shading lacquer.  When it is scratched you see white wood.
	Honestly, if we are going to take the time to create something that is
useful to our clients and try to reward ourselves for the time and
materials to make something that is not available anywhere else it calls
for strong promotion.

 I am not one to sit on my hands and wait for the phone to ring.  If a fire
has to be built I will be the one to build it.
I am sure that some of you get into promotional stuff, don't you?
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
Piano Service and Piano Peripherals
Creator of Hardwood PLTR's and Custom Piano Benches
pianoman@inlink.com         If I wake up in the morning, it WILL be a great
day!