Yamaha GH-1 Grand

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 14:57:23 EST

<< I have several GH1 customers, and most are happy with their pianos.  But, I
do have to be clear with them as to what I can and can't change with this
model, in the course of one tuning. As always, it comes down to choices, and
communication. >>

    Yes, you have a difficult communication problem.  Many GH-1 customers
bought the piano because of the name, Yamaha.  To them, it looks the same as
all of the others, except for the price tag.  They figure whatever the
difference is won't matter to them.
     I tune one in a big hotel.  The management of course doesn't know or care
anything about whether the piano is in tune or not.  They only respond to the
pianist who complains about it.  He complains about the low tenor tuning
instability.   I was able to convince the management to have the piano tuned
every month.  Here in the upper Midwest, the change of seasons can occur
abruptly and radically.  Sometimes a few months go by and the low tenor stays
fairly well, then a change of season occurs and that section is off by an
amount which is hard to believe possible.

     If you can find a way to inform the customer about what the reality is of
the design, he/she may well accept it.  If it is understood that wound strings
in that portion are more expensive and that is one of the big diifferences
between the low and high end models, the customer may choose to live with the
choice.  I would make the choice to have a "conversion" of the piano be a
substantial investment on the part of the customer.  It could be something
that is deferred for a couple of years.  Make it something the customer looks
forward to having done, not something that is regrettable.

    If Yamaha is not providing a kit, there may be some people knowledgeable
in rescaling who can help.  I believe that if you contact Ari Isaacs who makes
wound strings, for example, all you will need to do is supply him with some
measurements.  He may well be familiar with the problem already and know what
kind of strings to make.  As for the agraffes, you'll just need to get some of
the same which are used for the bichords in the upper bass.  You'll need to
change your dampers from trichord to bichord.  Driving a new hitch pin is not
at all difficult but its placement is very critical.

Good luck.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin