Rippen piano - plastic action

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:17:11 EST

>Does anyone have any experience with this action? I would appreciate any
>other ideas. Back in 1991 I wanted to remove a wippen and hammer, but I
>couldn't figure out how. The parts looked like they were "snap-in"
>types, but I couldn't get them out. The bridle tapes were glued at both
>ends.
>
>Bob Anderson

Unless the customer is emotionally attached to the piano, my recommendation
would be for her to get another piano. Rippen and the plastic actions are
worse than the plastic actions used in the Lesters et al. At least those you
can replace with wooden parts. There are no wooden parts that will fit a
Rippen, and when they break, which invariably they will, the only thing you
can do is superglue the parts back together. The only way you can remove an
action part is to "snap" it out of the rail, but if the part doesn't come out
easy, you'll run the risk of breaking it.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis