response to part-timer thoughts

Dan M. Hallett Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Sun, 01 Mar 1998 23:10:30 -0500

Mike Masters wrote:

> Eugenia Carter wrote:
> >
> > Jim B, as in Baby Grand Pere :-)
> >
> > A couple of years ago when the ETD topic was being heavily debated, I made
> > the comment that I didn't encourage anyone to use them until they had passed
> > the PTG tuning exam. My rationale was that one needed to learn their aural
> > skills and hammer technique thoroughly before using an ETD. Very quickly,
> > and thankfully very privately, two of our very respected contributors gently
> > chastised me that these devices, used in the proper method, can be one of
> > the most useful learning tools a novice can have to hone their skills. It's
> > a lesson I was grateful to learn and haven't forgotten.
> >
> > Gina Carter, Charlotte NC
>
> Gina and list,
>         Just to get my 2 bits in. I'm not an RPT. (yet. Will be ypgrading this
> year). Struggled for a time learning to tune aurally until I started
> tuning with and ETD. Was the greatest asset to my education as a tech. I
> didn't really work "under" (apprentice) with another technician. Did do
> a couple of conventions in my early years, before I even decided to
> persue this as a full-time profession. Had some one on one training at
> the convention level as well. But never really had much feedback from
> day to day. Using an ETD really helped me with the temperment section.
> Helped my get the beats rates where they should be. I can now (didn't
> used to be able to) tune a piano as well aurally (if not better, or
> sometimes worse) as I can with an ETD. I do at times tend to rely on the
> machine too much, but its very hard not to. I remember the technician in
> the Phoenix Chapter who really got me going in piano technology, used to
> tune pianos while listening to a Walkman. I was still in college and
> thought that was cool. When using an ETD, you just need to understand
> that it should be used as an aide, and when used properly, it can be one
> of the most useful learning tools a novice can use. And not to mention
> the old timers as well.
>
> Mike Masters
> Masters Piano Service
> Lakewood, OH
Dear List:

I was a Part-Timer and a RPT for over 20 years. During these years I
served my chapter as President, Secretary and Vice- President, and in
many other categories.
It really depends on what the individual wishes their role to be. As in
all occupations, it depends on the individual.
So--- respect the part timer.

BTW I have been full time for the past 5 years.

Dan Hallett, Jr.
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net