Hammers

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:36:23 -0600 (CST)

>Dear List,
>        I would like to ask the opinion of those who wish to reply.
>I just took in an old Steinway studio action for hammer replacement
>and some repinning.  It seems to have the larger cold pressed
>hammers.  What would you use to replace them?  If I understand
>correctly all I can get nowadays is hot pressed.  Is this true?  Will
>I have weight change considerations?  Can any of you recommend a
>certain brand?...
>                                        Greg Newell

If you want it to have genuine Steinway parts, Greg, order from Steinway.
Otherwise, Brooks, Ltd. can supply you with quality hammers, *and* you can
send samples of the old to get the best possible match.   This would help
in reducing possible weight change considerations.  Some of the supply
houses also offer very nice sets of hammers.  About the cold pressed vs.
hot pressed hammers thing, I wouldn't be concerned.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731