wanted: sellers of tools

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 10:59:12 -0500

First--let me say I am very glad to have found this list. I have been only
lurking (and avidly reading) for about 3 weeks now. Well--I did post one q.
regarding the PTG. I am impressed by the information here and by the tenor
of the posts. Thanks.

Second--major query which is the result of a very puzzling phenomenon. I am
a beginner and am looking forward to working on my own piano. I want to
execute the tuning exercises in the Reblitz book. However, after many hours
of exhaustive Internet searching and several phone calls to numbers that
are out of service, or whose area codes have changed, I speak with someone
who asks for a substantial sum for one of their catalogues. One company
even wants money for shipping it. None of them even mention refunding the
price with the first order. Is this the condition of things across the
spectrum?

Third--all I want is an extension tuning lever (the kind where the heads
can be changed), a temperament strip, a tuning fork, and some mutes. (And I
guess I'll ask here, how do I know which head will fit my piano--Kohler &
Campbell, 1915?)

Fourth--since I am vaguely offended about the business with the catalogue,
never mind the time involved of my sending a check, them verifying it, and
then mailing the catalogue, I'm turning to this list. Guessing that the
most expensive item on my list is the lever, what is a reasonable ballpark
price to pay for one? I would then assume that calling dealers and asking
the price of that one item would tell me that I could probably safely order
everything from them. Or is that nuts?

Fifth--how are mutes ordered? I mean what kinds does one need to start? Any
help in that area would be much appreciated.

Sixth--somewhere in my reading I read a ref. to a book, I think by an
Englishman named Silver? that dealt with tuning a piano so that the key (as
in Key of F or Key of G) was apparent when the music was played on a piano
tuned with his method. Does anyone know about this? Sounded quite sensible
to a beginner, or is that a wrong track for reasons I haven't yet learned?

Seventh--apologies for the long almost first post. But my level of
frustration about the tools is high right now.

Thanks much,
Clair Dunn
cadunn@vt2000.com