Vertical action questions

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 12:01:10 -0600 (CST)

Jerry Hunt, Associate Member, PTG, posted:
>Rebuilding an old upright, and have two questions regarding action:
>1) In ordering replacement hammer springs, how do I determine which size
>to order, APSCO lists 2 sizes, 1 3/4" (short tail) and 2" (long tail)?
>(And yes, I am replacing the butt spring punchings and spring rail
>cloth.)

Order both.  Then your bases are covered.

>2) Many of the action centers obviously need to be repinned and/or
>rebushed. How do you determine when to just re-pin vs. re-bush and
>re-pin?

It's a judgement call, Jerry.  If you are just trying to keep this piano
working (repairs/reconditioning), how about when you run out of center pin
sizes that won't work.  That's a definite indicator to rebush or replace.
They go up to size 26.  :-)  There are others who will possibly declare
nonsense as to this approach.  So be it.

If you are really rebuilding this upright, then it's another matter.
Rebushing action centers or replacment of parts would be in order.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731