pianotech-digest V1997 #604

David Boyce David@bouncer.force9.net
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:58:41 -0000

Willem, you wrote:
"I don't know of any published reports, but I think the primary difference
is
based on  discrimination. The US is so concerend about treating everyone as
equally as possible, (please lets not get into any political argueing
here),
that we look at somones ability, not the of hours he/she works at a job, to
determine how good he/she is. Again, as I mentioned, what difference does
it
make how much time you spend working at a job? You can either do it, or you
can't. There are many full time tuners in the US  who couldn't pass our PTG
exams, yet some of our best tuners, those who give exams and teach classes
are
part timers. These part timers use piano tuning as a sideline to suppliment
other carreers, or as in your case, to make ends meet.

I would suspect that the reason the full timers belonging to the PTA are
reluctant to allow partimers in their organization is one of jealousy, or a
need to protect their own little corner of the world. This thinking is,
unfortunately, very close minded, and could, in the long run, be the demise
of
the organization. Very few tuners start in the business as full time. And
without a means to futher ones education by attending seminars, so that one
could become full time, where are the future full time tuners in the UK
going
to come from? And how can a non member learn how to perform certain
proceedures the way they want them done, so that they can pass the exmas to
join,  if they close their seminars only to their own members."

Willem, I couldn't agree more!
Back soon with approving noises about some of the comments others of you
have made.

David Boyce
David@bouncer.force9.net