Cheapie Yamaha -Reply

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 16:48:30 -0600 (CST)

Steve and/or list,

   My question is about a much older piano than what is being discussed
here, but I am wondering if a grand I tuned last Saturday is a Pearl River
Yamaha.
The serial number is: #38060.

Symptoms:
1. The only model number I can find is "No. 2" which is cast into the plate
2. It only has two pedals
3. There are no keyframe glides
4. None of the bridges are graphited.

   Of course, the two pedal thing is what got me to thinking. Just curious.

Avery

>Yamaha DOES NOT sell any Chinese pianos in this country which bear
>the Yamaha name, nor does it make any 48" pianos in China.  If I had to
>guess, I would say these are Pearl River pianos. The Pearl River factory
>is a completely separate facility, and makes standard Pearl River pianos.
>One thing is certain: these are NOT  Yamaha pianos.  Period.
>Steve Pearson
>Yamaha

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music