Verticle action questions

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:04:44 -0600

I find most generic hammers too wide and heavy to use to duplicate and you
also end up with passing problems.  I am just finishing one (old Upright)
now with hammers from Wally Brooks.  They are very close to the originals,
no passing problems, bored right, etc.  Same weight, and it's all coming
out nice.  The small price difference is WELL worth it!
Repin if you feel/see wobble.  If the Birdseye is so wallowed out that you
end up with 24+ center pins, rebush.  I use the glue/graphite impregnated
bushing strips from Renner (I think other suppliers sell it too).  It makes
it quicker.  I size them with Methanol and water using a heat lamp in
assembly line fashion.  I just finished an entire Steinway action with
double flanges.  If you have lots of large Birdseye and other problems,
consider replacing parts.  If you are new at this, I refer you to (strongly
advised) the reprinted articles and the PACE article books available from
PTG.  There are 9 books of reprinted articles on several areas of piano
work.  These answer all of your questions, teach you how to do it the
acceptable way, and are great reference material for later.  I am a strong
believer in education, and the past Journal articles by Bill Spurlock and
others like him are thorough and amazing when you consider the time you
save and the finished product.  Good Luck.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net