Verticle action questions

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:25:48 EST

<< Hammer butt flanges, for instance,  might be easier, and less time
consuming, (and thus less expensive), to replace rather than repin, and/or
rebush. The same would be true for wippen flanges, and even damper flanges.

   While I agree with Wim's comment (I nearly made the same one myself), you
may find a problem with the fit if you introduce new parts, especially hammer
flanges, in an old piano.  A new hammer flange will also most likely need
reaming because it will be too tight.  Alignment may be very difficult with
it, you may have to file the notches just to get it to sit properly.  The next
time you see the piano, expect any new flanges to be more loose than you ever
thought one could get.  New parts are not always the easy answer!

    Bill Bremmer RPT
    Madison, Wisconsin