Benches and Keytops

David C. Brown dcbrown@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:34:35 -0700 (MST)

List and all

I wonder if ya'll would be kind enought on comment on two things for me. I
have a client with a recently purchased vintage BB Mason. They purchased it
with the intent of future restoration. My questions are- What of the
quality of Poeschel artist benches for home use and the availability of
alternate keytop materials to plastic or pyralin, specifically bone. I
re-read the excellent July 95 Journal on ivory history, and saw Don Bunchs'
article regarding bone. Does this material wear as well as ivory? Some
colleagues have expressed reservations about its' hardness. Perhaps Anne or
Steven could comment about its' use in historical instruments. The
possibility exists for key replacement, so perhaps Kluge or Bob Marinelli
offer these options as well. I am just too lazy too check with them first,
and thought I would tap the vast knowledge of the list!:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

It's your attitude
Not your aptitude