Verticle action questions

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 09:18:32 +0000

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> I find most generic hammers too wide and heavy to use to duplicate and you
> also end up with passing problems.  I am just finishing one (old Upright)
> now with hammers from Wally Brooks.  They are very close to the originals,
<snip>
Lance, Bill, Wim, Keith (hope I didn't leave out anybody):
I really appreciate the input. FWIW, the piano in question is a 1925
Werner, originally player, but player mechanism long-since removed, that
I bought at a garage sale for $200 when I first started the Randy Potter
course to be my "cadaver". I now am trying to get it in shape to sell
it. (No, I don't have visions of getting rich off this :o). I ordered
hammers from Wally yesterday. I rebushed the keys (using Bill Spurlocks
cauls - thanks Bill), started putting the keys in last night, was
pleasantly surprised at how many that I didn't have to ease.
Some (maybe many) of the hammers are a bit wobbly. I'm keen to attempt
re-bushing where needed, as opposed to replacing parts, primarily for
the experience. For the same reason, I will be repacing the hammer
springs.
Interestingly, at some time in the not too distant past, somebody
replaced most of the easy-to-replace (and easy to see) felts/other parts
(hammer rest rail, dampers, bridle straps)...I'm still vascillating on
whether or not to re-string (and install new tuning pins??).
At any rate, this is running on, so I'll shut up for now. Thanks again
to all who have responded to this and other questions.

Kindest regards,

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX USA