Thomas Jefferson Tuning Scheme I

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 08:24:00 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

I think you may be on to something in your analysis. I hope some of the
Meantone or modified Meantone people will pick up on this and further
elucidate. I can remember struggling through these same procedures as a
kid before I was finally taught ET and the use of graduating 3rds. Going
back as far as Jefferson, every musician pretty much tuned his own
instrument. My guess is that ET has created the market for all of us as
piano technicians. Tuning just became too complicated for the average
musician when the Well Temperaments and Equal Temperaments came into vogue.
We owe our livelihood to this change.

Jim Coleman, Sr.