Cast Iron Pinblock

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 07:38:06 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Rolland Miller <rmiller@EN.COM>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 04, 1998 4:44 AM
Subject: Cast Iron Pinblock

[molto snips]

>I am trying to determine the longevity of a "cast iron pinblock".
 Wurlitzer 5'3" grand - SN 101066
>There was no pinblock - the tuning pins were embedded in the plate.  Each
>tuning pin had a slot cut in it at the bottom and a tiny wedge was tapped
>up into each slot to adjust torque.
>What have been others experienced with this type of "pinblock"?

There was discussion here about these a while back.   I've tuned a few of
these, both grands and uprights.  The pin torque/feel was a little tight,
and a little strange, but tunings went normally.    A colleague restrung a
little Apollo grand; as I remember it, he had no unusual problems during or
after stringing.  I tuned that piano 20+ years after the restringing, and
everything felt and acted normal.  Had I not recognized the piano, I
probably wouldn't  have even been aware of anything out of the ordinary.
>From what I've seen, the system holds up fine.

I sure would hate to lose those tuning pins, though.  Until they're back in
the piano, guard them with your life.

Tom Myler

"Well done" is better than "Well said"