warped key

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 09:47:46 +0000

Willem:
I've straightened a key using the method from Reblitz' book:
Place the back end of the key in a wood clamp in a vice (I clamped mine
in my Workmate). Lay a wet rag over the key in the area of the bend, use
a hot steam iron to heat up and steam the key on both sides. Twist (or
bend, as the case may be) the key gently as you heat it. After a bit,
you'll notice that the key starts twisting/bending a little easier.
Twist/bend the key past level/flat, remove the iron and rag, while still
holding the key in position. Then with the iron turned down to warm and
with steam off, "iron" the key for a bit to remove some of the moisture.
It may take a couple of passes to get it back to normal (or close
enough).

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX USA