Cast Iron Pinblock

Rolland Miller rmiller@EN.COM
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 07:12:14 -0500

Hello list,

I am trying to determine the longevity of a "cast iron pinblock". Please
see below.

Tuesday morning 3/2/98, I checked out a Wurlitzer 5'3" grand - SN 101066
made about 1929 I believe.  The piano was origionally a player but that
mechanisim had been removed.  When I tested the tuning pin torque by tuning
a few notes, I couldn't believe the strength that old block had. When I
checked under the pinblock for ply separations/cracks I found out why.
There was no pinblock - the tuning pins were embedded in the plate.  Each
tuning pin had a slot cut in it at the bottom and a tiny wedge was tapped
up into each slot to adjust torque.

This was a first for me.

The piano needs about $1800 to $2000 in repairs - replace bass strings,
bush keys, new keytops, action recon and regulation, etc. plus some sound
board repairs.

The piano has sentimental value to the husband as it was his mother's
piano.  He also played it when he was growing up.  He wants to put the
piano in sevicable condition and give it to his daughter who has children
that could use it.

The piano is now about 70 years old.  I have no past experience with a
"cast iron pinblock".

What have been others experienced with this type of "pinblock"?

Any advice, suggestions or past experience greatly appreciated.

Rolland Miller, RPT
rmiller@en.com