query lubes back

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:40:28 -0600 (CST)

Hi Jim, Avery, James, Mom, and all the people who helped me when I was little.

In the time honored tradition of getting it wrong the last time (that's
"most recent"), I'd like to pitch yet another log on the verdigris fire with
yet another observation. Anyone who is foolish enough to have had a pump
organ apart (Yea, I know, so sue me.) will have noticed a mysterious green
waxy deposit on the reed stop door hinges and the leather surrounding them.
So what's a pump organ doing with Steinway gunk inside - setting goals?
There is no bushing cloth in sight, and I can't imagine any sane
justification for anyone lubricating these hinges at any time, for any
reason, with any elixir. This verdigris does, however, only show up where
brass is in contact with the leather - which is sheepskin. Since it also
shows up in actions where brass is in contact with wool, also a sheep part,
maybe we are all barking up the wrong substance. Perhaps verdigris comes
from sheep! If someone with access to a sheep or two, and a bunch of brass
wire, would wrap a half mile or so of the aforementioned wire around the
pre-aforementioned sheep, and leave it there for 60-100 years, we'd know for
sure. Heck, I'd try it if I had some brass... and a sheep... and 60-100
years. Maybe we could get a grant.

Ron

At 01:33 PM 3/4/98 EST, you wrote:

>In a message dated 3/4/98 12:01:52 PM, pianoman@inlink.com wrote:
>
><< I was surprised to hear Jim Bryants comment on verdigris coming
>
>from it. >>
>
>Avery, James;
>  I don't know for sure where the verdigris is coming from, and I don't know
>for sure whether "Mineral Oil" or "Mineral Spirits" was used.  The only thing
>that I can say for certain is that some 'oily' substance was applied to the
>parts some length of time ago.  As I knew, and learned a lot from, at least
>two of these older technicians, I know what their favorite lube was, and it
>was "Mineral Spirits/Mineral Oil".  I don't know what else would be able to
>cause verdigris on plastic flanges but am certainly open to suggestions.  I
>find moderate cases of verdigris on both plastic and wooden flanges that have
>been treated with 'some oily substance' in the past that is why I identified
>my remarks as being " not scientific".
>  I suppose that if it works for you, do it, and if it doesn't, don't do it
>:-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

 Ron Nossaman