Petrof Inharmonicity

Alexander Galembo galembo@psyc.queensu.ca
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 18:12:04 -0500

At 03:49 PM 3/4/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Alex wrote:
>> This was demonstrated in 1987 at the Acoustical Society of America meeting
>> by Reinholdt et al., but I am not agree with that completely. The tone will
>> change not because of the B change only, but also because of the change of
>> the spectral bandwidth that correlates with brightness of the tone. Change
>> of B in a 50-partials tone in across-piano limits for a bass region might
>> change spectral bandwidth twice or more.
>>
>If B is varied in such an experiment and tone perception changes then the
>change in B is responsible for that tonal difference. The mechanism may be
>explained by a change in spectral bandwidth as described above....but the
>change in inharmonicity is ulimately responsible for the tonal difference.

Not quite right.  The spectral width might be  increased by just adding
more partials without increasing B and this might have almost the same
timbral effect. We have experimented with a bass tone having changes due to
the inharmonicity variation and due to the variations of the number of
partials and  found out that the spectral bandwidth in our tones
(independently of how it was  arranged - by the inharmonicity of by the
 nunber of partials variation)  was stronger timbral factor than the
inharmonicity  coefficient.

Alex
Alexander Galembo, Ph. D.
NSERC-NATO Science fellow
Acoustics lab, Dept. of Psychology, Queen's University
Kingston ON  K7L3N6
Canada

Tel. (613) 5456000, ext. 5754
Fax (613) 5452499