Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 09:43:28 -0800

Hi,

My understanding is that *wolf tones* only occur if historical temperaments
are used in an unsatisfactory choice of key (i.e. F#+ as opposed to C+).
They are not to be confused with the *wolf tone* on a violin (which happens
some where between C4 and C#4 thank goodness) due to the tuning of the 2
vibrating plates.

At 09:53 AM 3/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have two questions to everybody who can answer them:
>
>1. I never heard wolftones in pianos, though they were mentioned in
>literature. How they sound? In what range? What a pitch they have? Is there
>any publications describing them?
>
>2. Long time ago, some serious piano makers (such as Steinway, Baldwin,
>Yamaha etc.) were conducting and using acoustical research of pianos. Now ,
>as I know, Steinway and Baldwin do not.
>Which piano firms in the world are making or supporting acoustical research
>presently?
>
>Thank you
>
>Alex
>

>Alexander Galembo, Ph. D.
>NSERC-NATO Science fellow
>Acoustics lab, Dept. of Psychology, Queen's University
>Kingston ON  K7L3N6
>Canada
>
>Tel. (613) 5456000, ext. 5754
>Fax (613) 5452499