">

August Forster Grands

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:58:45 -0600 (CST)

Hi Newton,

   Welcome back and thanks for the post. How was Cuba this time?
   If the Forster definitely ends up being the piano, I will go check it
out, assuming the dealer would have no objections. It *is* coming from a
dealer here, so I assume it's a fairly new one. I've had no exposure at all
to these pianos, so it will be interesting to check it out. Thanks again.

Avery

>Idiosincratic is a good discription of earlier August F.'s.
>
>The newer ones have renner actions and should have to problems.  If it
>is about 15 to 20 years old it may have a Finish action that is a real
>bummer of an action to regulate.  You will be able to tell the
>difference once you pull the action.  With the finish action you will
>need to set your let-off at 1/8".  Have a creful look at the pinning as
>well.  If there is a pinning problem procede with great caution.
>
>I like the tone of the AFs, but they are sensitive to humidity.  There
>where build behind the iron curtain, but I have not seen one made since.
>
>If at all possible I would go and evaluate the instrument before
>committing to a concert.  You may need to spend a lot more time on it
>than just a tuning.
>
>Lots of luck.
>
>	Newton
>	nhunt@jagat.com