"Wolf" Interval (not "wolf" tone)

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 23:21:38 EST

<< 1. I never heard wolftones in pianos, though they were mentioned in
literature. How they sound? In what range? What a pitch they have? Is there
any publications describing them?  >>

This is one reason why I have remarked in the past that it would be better not
to use too much jargon on this List or really in any writing about piano
technology.  When there are people for whom English, notably American English
is not their first language it can create unnecessary confusion and it also
presents a problem for an individual who wishes to translate the writing into
another language.

Let me be clear about my own usage of the term "wolf".  There are other usages
but when I have used the term it applies solely to the wide, untuned and
dissonant interval of a 5th which usually occurs between Ab & Eb when tuning a
Meantone temperament.

When tuning such a temperament, one tunes a series of 11 tempered 5ths, each
of which is tempered more than the -2¢ of an ET 5th. Therefore, after
completing 11 5ths, there is a 12th one which cannot be resolved and it is
left untuned and is actually wide.  Although the "wolf" could be left between
Ab & Db, it is most often left between Ab & Eb (or technically between Eb &
G#).  The degree of wideness and dissonance depends upon how narrow the other
tempered 5ths have been tuned.

 In 1/4 Meantone, the "wolf" 5th is very wide, some 40¢.  It is wildly
dissonant and therefore, usually considered musically unusable, except for its
potential shock value.  In 1/7 comma Meantone, however, the "wolf" 5th is
slight, only 8¢ wide or less (depending on the inharmonocoty of the piano).
Many people have found that on the modern piano, this temperament can actually
substitute for a Well-Tempered tuning or ET and that the supposedly unusable
key of Ab not only is usable, but has a magical "elictrified"-sounding energy
to it that is very appealing.  I, myself, have found this to be my perception
and keep my own piano at home tuned this way and tune many of my customers'
pianos in this temperament.   The Equal-beating quality of the other 11 major
triads in this temperament give all music a very "in-tune", harmonious sound
with distinct "colors" for all of the major and minor keys.  It is very
different from any of the Well-Tempered tunings.

Bill Bremmer, RPT
Madison, Wisconsin