Thomas Jefferson Tuning Scheme I

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 23:40:27 EST

<< We DO NOT know that Thomas Jefferson indeed tuned pure fifths.
 However to research what this tuning might have been, I decided
 to start with pure fifths.  >>

If you are interested, I can supply the information on how to tune this
sequence with 1/5, 3/11 or 1/6 syntonic comma 5ths which are far more likely
to have been used.  If you compare the sound using any of these with the pure
5ths, I'm sure that you will agree that they are more plausible.

The fact that Jefferson did not stipulate how much tempering was to be in his
5ths did not mean that they were not tempered.  Putting a certain audilble yet
tolerable beat in the 5ths might well have been such common practice at the
time that it did not seem important to spell it out, much the way that so many
seem to believe today that ET goes without saying.  I can find documentation
to support this too if you'd like but all you need to do is look at the 1/5
meantones and some of the supporting documentation of them in Jorgensen's
book, Tuning, and you will find it, see in particular, page 93.

Regards,
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin