squeak = squeal

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Sat, 07 Mar 98 19:11:06

On Fri, 06 Mar 1998 12:08:23 -0800, Don wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am having a problem with a Kawai GE-1. When the damper pedal is depressed
>slowly the capstans on the under side of the dampers appear to be squeaking
>as the damper tray lift. The tray is metal with a nice felt surface. It
>appears to happen only in the bass section of the instrument, but I may be
>totally out to lunch!
>
>Any suggestions as to an appropriate lubricant or other solution would save
>what little hair I have left.
>
>And NO Bill Bremmer I am NOT bashing this piano or any other makers! I only
>mentioned the specific model in hopes of some other technician having been
>*up the creek*!
>Regards,
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.
>"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
>drose@dlcwest.com
>3004 Grant Rd.
>REGINA, SK
>S4S 5G7
>306-352-3620 or 1-888-29t-uner

Don,
	You probably have already read a response to this but since
I'm responding off line I guess you'll have to suffer through the
answer twice.  It sounds to me like you've got loose screws on the
damper lift tray.  I ran into this problem alot with the older ones
especially.  If you put some Loctite on the screw before you put it
back in and tighten it it should stay better.  Frankly I was really
surprised to have found them loose at all when I did.  I've never
seen them loose in other aluminum action rails so why in the damper
tray.  Kind of a low stress area wouldn't you think?  Hope this
helps.
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`