squeak = squeal

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 09:27:56 -0800 (PST)

Greg wrote:

>Don,
>	You probably have already read a response to this but since
>I'm responding off line I guess you'll have to suffer through the
>answer twice.  It sounds to me like you've got loose screws on the
>damper lift tray.  I ran into this problem alot with the older ones
>especially.  If you put some Loctite on the screw before you put it
>back in and tighten it it should stay better.  Frankly I was really
>surprised to have found them loose at all when I did.  I've never
>seen them loose in other aluminum action rails so why in the damper
>tray.  Kind of a low stress area wouldn't you think?  Hope this
>helps.
>					Greg Newell

I would be very, very leery of using superglue on screw threads.
Fasteners should be removable. I don't think screws should be
"locked tight".

Does anyone else on the list have any experience with conditions
in which CA glue seizes or doesn't seize parts?

I remember a tuning years ago in California, on a rental console.
There were two wippens missing in the extreme bass. I took off
the kickboard, and found them lying on the floor of the piano, with a
very dirty comment written deep and large in the softwood with a
big pencil. They had cracks through the birdseyes, which had been
superglued, and center pins had been inserted to keep the holes round.
They were totally seized in place.

I replaced the wippens with new ones, but the shy, proper customer
was aghast over the indelible cussing inside the piano. "How can I
return it like that??"

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"My life is already compicated enough, without trying to introduce
organization into it."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant