Voicing question

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 08 Mar 1998 14:43:07 -0800

Hi Susan,

I agree that DC systems try to dehumidify only the piano. But on the other
side of the equation they *do* try to humidify the *whole* room. This is
one reason they work much better in uprights particularly if you cover the
back of the instrument with plastic or some other water proof material.

I also find much better results in Grand pianos in institutions if a water
proof floor length cover is used. In homes I often recommend connecting an
*auxilary* humidifier (i.e. five gallon room type) to the humidistat. Those
that listen have pianos with pitch drop less than 4 cents per year.

I also recommend at least 3 drier bars to all grand customers. (a 50 a 35
and a 25).

I am considering trying to find a way to *cover* the bottom of a grand
piano in a way that would be esthetically pleasing to the client. I don't
really want to put black builders plastic and have it hang down from the
piano, and have also often wondered about the use of felt string covers.
Perhaps the felt string covers (btw have never seen one) might improve the
effectiveness!

At 11:06 AM 3/8/98 -0800, you wrote:

>David seems to be implying that Dampp-chasers work by decreasing
>the humidity in the whole room, and a simple experiment can
>disprove this. Put a digital humidity-and-temperature gauge on
>top of the piano, or in the keybed area, and take a reading. Then
>place the humidity gauge on top of a backpost, and take another
>reading.
>
>When I did this on a Steinway L near the coast, my readings were:
>70º F, 60% RH on top of the piano; 77º F, 51% RH on top of the
>backpost.
>
>It's true that vapors try to disperse evenly throughout a container,
>_but they take time to do so_, just as heat does. We should be
>glad of this: all sorts of things which we take for granted would
>be seriously awry if this were not so. For instance, wearing
>a toque and muffler wouldn't help our Canadian friends to stay warm.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Susan
>
>Susan Kline
>P.O. Box 1651
>Philomath, OR 97370
>skline@proaxis.com
>
>"I don't want to go hunting for knowledge: I want it to come and grab me."
>			-- Ashleigh Brilliant

Regards, Don