Voicing question

Sun, 08 Mar 1998 14:40:31 -0800

Jeannie Grassi wrote:

> Jim & List,
> I have a client with a very nice Steinway B who religiously monitors the
> temp.& RH in her studio.  She swears that she likes the tone better on days
> when the RH is slightly higher than the norm.  I had nothing to compare it
> to when I have been there, so I can only take her word for it.  She is very
> sensitive to the changes in this instrument, so I'm sure she is perceiving
> something different.  Now, with your explanation, we may have a reason why.
>
> If what you say is correct, wouldn't an impedance change like that result in
> just the right conditions for the board to be stiffer or more rigid, and
> therefore more powerful?
>
> Jeannie Grassi
> Registered Piano Technician
> Bainbridge Island, WA
> jgrassi@silverlink.net

Well, let's just say that there MAY be SOME change the acoustic response of the
soundboard. Stiffer is not necessarily better. If the board is already too stiff, more
stiffness could be detrimental. So, any change that there is may be for the better, or it
may be for the worse. There also may be so little change as to be inaudible.

Del