squeak = squeal

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Sun, 08 Mar 98 22:33:58

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998 09:27:56 -0800 (PST), Susan Kline wrote:

>Greg wrote:
>
>>Don,
>>	You probably have already read a response to this but since
>>I'm responding off line I guess you'll have to suffer through the
>>answer twice.  It sounds to me like you've got loose screws on the
>>damper lift tray.  I ran into this problem alot with the older ones
>>especially.  If you put some Loctite on the screw before you put it
>>back in and tighten it it should stay better.  Frankly I was really
>>surprised to have found them loose at all when I did.  I've never
>>seen them loose in other aluminum action rails so why in the damper
>>tray.  Kind of a low stress area wouldn't you think?  Hope this
>>helps.
>>					Greg Newell
>
>I would be very, very leery of using superglue on screw threads.
>Fasteners should be removable. I don't think screws should be
>"locked tight".
>
>Does anyone else on the list have any experience with conditions
>in which CA glue seizes or doesn't seize parts?
>
>I remember a tuning years ago in California, on a rental console.
>There were two wippens missing in the extreme bass. I took off
>the kickboard, and found them lying on the floor of the piano, with a
>very dirty comment written deep and large in the softwood with a
>big pencil. They had cracks through the birdseyes, which had been
>superglued, and center pins had been inserted to keep the holes round.
>They were totally seized in place.
>
>I replaced the wippens with new ones, but the shy, proper customer
>was aghast over the indelible cussing inside the piano. "How can I
>return it like that??"
>

>Susan Kline
>P.O. Box 1651
>Philomath, OR 97370
>skline@proaxis.com
>
>"My life is already compicated enough, without trying to introduce
>organization into it."
>			-- Ashleigh Brilliant

Susan and List,
	First sorry for copying all of this in the reply but I just
didn't know what to leave out.  Second, I most certainly did not mean
to suggest super glue on threads. The Loctite I am aware of and have
used in the past simply makes sure that they won't back out on theri
own.  A tech with a screwdriver can easily overcome any Loctite
application.
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`