Voicing question

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 11:29:07 -0600

Hi David et al,

One minor problem with furnace humidifiers. Unless the furnace is new enough
to have a 2 speed (i.e. continuously running) fan the humdifier *only* works
when the *heat* is on. Indeed the Aprileair is the absolute *king* of
furnace humdifiers and the humdistat is *actually* correctly calibrated! I
still prefer in my climate a room type humidifier connect to the dc
controller. This way bedrooms which are generally cooler do not end up with
frost or ice on the windows (and probably in the walls).

At 12:55 AM 3/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Yes, Damper Chasers affect the RH in the room, and in fact the home.  I
have always tried to
>convince piano owners to put a room humidifer on the same level of the
house as the piano is
>located.  Or if they will afford it, install an automatic humidifier like
"April Air" on their
>furnace.  The RH is directly influenced by the amount of water being added
to the air in the
>home.  Damper Chasers might put a gallon or so in the air over a couple of
days.  Room
>humidifiers can put 4-6 gallons in a home in a day (I know, I bought the
biggest one Bionaire
>makes!)  Then I installed an "April Air" humidifier on our furnace.  Just
after it was installed,
>I turned the control knob all the way up on a cold November day.  In a 5000
sq foot home, the RH
>went from 28% to over 65%.  All the family members complained to the point
I had to turn the
>control dial back down.  Never did see just how high the RH could get with
this furnace system.

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com