Hammers

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Mon, 09 Mar 98 23:00:20

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:42:01 -0600, Lance Lafargue wrote:

>I'd be curious to know how you decided on Ronson.  I've heard almost
>nothing about them and I am wondering what you heard that swayed you.
>Surely price can't be the reason for such an instrument as this.  Maybe
>it's that I mostly work on 20th century instruments.  I'll be doing an 1883
>Chickering this summer, though.
>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>New Orleans Chapter
>Covington, LA.
>lafargue@iamerica.net
Lance,
	Two factors influenced my decision.  First , when I asked the
list about their recommendations I heard about Ari Isaac's,  Ronson,
Brooks,  Steinway's (of course) and Schaaf's.  Did I miss anyone?  I
called Steinway and they did not stock the hammers I requested and
would have to be special ordered in at a considerable amount more.
Their stock upright hammers did not have the same moulding.  I've
used  Wally Brooks hammers before and I liked them. The last set I
got were bored somewhat sloppily with an amount of drill chipout I
was unhappy with.  This does not mean that I won't use them in the
future.  I like most of what I read from Mr.  Fandrich and respect
his opinion.  I started this post asking for something to replace
original cold pressed hammers. These appear to be the closest animal.
 I'll let you know.
					Greg
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`