Rel. Humidity (was Re: Voicing question

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Mon, 09 Mar 98 23:21:27

On Mon, 09 Mar 1998 18:43:21 -0800, Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts
wrote:

>dpitsch wrote:
>>
>> Yes, Damper Chasers[sic] affect the RH in the room, and in fact the home. <snip>
>
>earlier post:
>
>To which Greg Newell responded:
>
>> > Dave ,
>> >         Does this mean that Damp Chasers do not in fact control only
>> > the piano but in fact the entire room as well?????
>> >                                 Greg Newell
>> >True, to a point. However, as Dave points out, a Dampp-Chaser can not
>come close to a room- or furnace-dehumidifier in adding absolute volume
>of water to the air.  It doesn't try to, nor is that really relevant.
>
>RELATIVE humidity (RH)n is what we are talking about. The amount of water
>which air can hold without condensing is a function of its temperature.
>RH is an expression of the amount of water in a given volume of air at a
>given temperature compared to the amount of water that the same volume of
>air could hold at saturation point at the same temperature. Yes, water
>diffuses through air quite quickly, but it moves from areas of high
>concentration to areas of low concentration.  That is the definition of
>diffusion.
>
>In a perfect world (or a museum) it is possible to maintain an
>environment at a relatively constant RH.  In most houses, particularly in
>climates where there is a 50 C (90 F) difference between summer and
>winter temperatures, this is an impossibility.  In houses built in Canada
>before the last 15 years or so, if you tried to maintain an interior
>humidity of 45% at 21 C (72 F) when the outside temperature is -25 C (-10
>F) there would be water running down all your windows and condensing in
>your insulation, because in the boundary layer at the walls and windows,
>the temperature is a lot lower than 21C and the RH is therefore >100%.
>
>To lower RH, in summer, you must either raise the temperature of the air,
>or remove water from it. If the R.H. outside, at say 35 C (90 F) is 85%,
>when you bring that air inside and cool it to 21 C (72 F), you are at or
>near the dew point. In a house, where humidity is usually a problem in
>summer, if at all, you don't want to raise the temperature, so you must
>remove moisture by using refrigeration to create a "sink" -- a cold zone
>where local RH is 100% so that water will condense and can be disposed
>of.  Unfortunately, unless you have air locks on all your doors, this is
>a losing proposition too, and it becomes practically impossible, or at
>least very expensive, to keep R.H. down to 45% in summer.
>
>Wood doesn't care about what the relative humidity is on the other side
>of the room. Moisture in the wood is in equilibrium with moisture in the
>boundary layer of air around the wood. If you raise the RH, by adding
>water to the air in the immediate vicinity of the soundboard, the wood
>will reach equilibrium with that humidified air.  As long as you are
>adding moisture to the immediate environment as fast as it can diffuse
> [...]

Tim,
	This is all well and good. I agree that the D-C systems can
and do provide some level of stability in verticals.  I'll even
stipulate that they cna help a grand as well, but, you did not
address the disparity between the action cavity and the sounboard
area.  Are we creating imbalances? If so can this be a good thing for
the pianos structure as a whole?  What are the possible ramifications
of "wet" hammers and a "dry" soundoard and bridges  and pinblock?
Any furthur thoughts?
						Greg
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Forte`