Dampp-Chaser threads (Second Verse)

Clarence Stout cpstout@concentric.net
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 16:23:33 -0700

--------------9F51E993C9A99522FB6F559D
Hi Rob & List:         I have been servicing and tuning pianos some thirty-five
plus years,
now semi-retired (which is perhaps one of the finer aspects of piano tuning).
During the course of my endeavors, I have installed some sixty D.Chaser units.

The geography of those D.C units is n.e. Colorado/western Nebraska.  Never have
I seen a piano when D.C. equipped develop tuning pin troubles.  In addition I
have seen several so equipped pianos, particularly in upright models, where
D.C.s definitely helped
the loose pin problem

In addition for some nineteen years I have tuned part time in the Phoenix/Tempe
during the winter seasons where Jim Coleman families reside.  Pianos in homes
equipped with both water and refrigeration air conditioners are definitely aided
by just a humidistat and one (or more) dampp chaser dehumidifiers, even grands.
Pianos so partially equipped eliminate the problem adding water all the time.
Thanks for 'listening' !!
                                                                        Clarence
(Clancy) Stout - RPT

Chandler, AZ & Holyoke, CO

atonal@planet.eon.net wrote:

> > atonal@planet.eon.net (Rob Kiddell) wrote:
> > > Tuning pin tension remains fairly stable ie: tight, but I
> > > don't attribute this to the Dampp-Chaser. I've worked with
> > > enough Dampp-Chasers to know this isn't one of their attributes.
> >
> > I sure find they make a difference in tuning pin torque in uprights.  And
> > D-C's new promotional video makes that claim unequivocally.
> >
> > Tim Keenan
>
> Hi Tim,
>
>         What kinds of pianos (new or used) and what types of conditions have
> you seen improvements in? I've installed Dampp-Chaser 5PS systems
> in brand new Baldwins (tight tight tight pins!) and newer Yamahas
> (not as tight, but smooth), as well as Wurlitzers, Petrofs, and some
> large, re-pinned turn-of-the-century rebuilt pianos (original
> soundboards). I also routinely tune and maintain similar pianos,
> newer and older, without Dampp-Chasers installed. I've yet to
> attribute increases in tuning pin torque to installation of the
> Dampp-Chaser. I don't find the DC equipped instruments 'tighter'
> overall, I find variances in tension between similar pianos,
> humidifier system or no.   Here in Edmonton, we are a fairly dry
> prairie climate, and new instruments tend to lose moisture quickly.
> Tuning, regulation, and tuning pin tension are all at the mercy of
> the dry climate.  Changes in tuning pin tension tend to happen
> quickly, if at all. Yet I stand by my original statement:  based on
> my experience installing and maintaining pianos and Dampp-Chasers,
> they work extremely well on soundboard stability, and little, if at
> all, on anything else. At least in this climate, anyway.  BIG NOTE:
> I'm not discounting other points of view here, I'm keen to hear
> what others are doing regarding DC installation and
> maintainence.....maybe I'm missing something?!?!
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob Kiddell,
> Registered Piano Technician, PTG
> atonal@planet.eon.net