Dampp-Chaser threads

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:32:32 +0000

> Rob,
>
> Where were the rods positioned?  One under the keybed?  I usually put a 50
> watt under the soundboard and a 25 watt next to the lyre base under the
> keybed (on the action side).  I've not had these action problems.  I see a
> lot of Samicks/DH Baldwins/Kohler & Campbells.  After the damper guide
> rails, keys, and action centers are eased, they usually stabilize for me.
> Greetings from Humidityville!
>
> Lance Lafargue, RPT

On grands, I do the standard install recommended by Dampp-Chaser,
humidifier in the centre of the soundboard, de-humidifier right
behind the keybed, parallel to the belly-rail. There was a time when
I was installing the de-humidifiers along the soundboard, roughly
following the treble bridge buttons, but I've since stopped. The idea
was to have the de-humidifier as close to the bridge area as
possible, ostensibly to 'stabilize' the board and keep the bridge
from rolling, but I've found no evidence that this works or not!

>Hi Rob & List:         I have been servicing and tuning pianos some
>thirty-five plus years, now semi-retired (which is perhaps one of
>the finer aspects of piano tuning). During the course of my
>endeavors, I have installed some sixty D.Chaser units.

>The geography of those D.C units is n.e. Colorado/western Nebraska.
>Never have I seen a piano when D.C. equipped develop tuning pin
>troubles.  In addition I have seen several so equipped pianos,
>particularly in upright models, where D.C.s definitely helped the
>loose pin problem

>In addition for some nineteen years I have tuned part time in the
>Phoenix/Tempe during the winter seasons where Jim Coleman
>families reside.  Pianos in homes equipped with both water and
>refrigeration air conditioners are definitely aided by just a
>humidistat and one(or more) dampp chaser dehumidifiers, even grands.
>Pianos so partially equipped eliminate the problem adding water all
>the time. Thanks for 'listening' !!
> Clarence

Thanks for your insight, Clarence. I'll have to keep checking these
instruments over the years, and compare the results!

Tim Keenan wrote:
 >I have not made a statistically valid, replicated study, so this is
>anecdotal only. Before moving to near-coastal BC, I lived in
>Southern Ontario.  RH in summer is *often* above 80%.  Indoors, in
>winter, it is often below 20%, because it is being raised 40 degrees
>C or so (about 85 degrees F.) from the outside temperature.  In
>older upright pianos in particular (Heintzman, Bell, Martin-Orme,
>Henry Herbert, Gourlay--1910 to 1935 vintage (maybe because of
>fewer/thicker pinblock laminations?) there is often a discernible
>difference between mid-summer and mid-winter pin torque.  In several
>cases where the instruments were in otherwise tolerable mechanical
>condition, but the pin torque was marginal in winter, there was
>enough of an improvement with installation of a D-C system to put
>off repinning, at least for a few years.

>Rob--I'm a prairie boy, and I know about the climate in Edmonton. I
>am not too surprised that you would not see such a difference there.
>I think that the *amplitude* of humidity fluctuations contributes to
>loose pins more than absolute dryness does.  I think the
>illustration in the new D-C promo video is pretty good. Swelling of
>the pinblock by high summer humidity could conceivably cause some
>crushing of the wood cells at the pin/wood interface, and this would
>leave the pins that much looser at the dry end of the cycle.

That makes a good deal of sense... the wood is enlarged, contracts,
and loose pins develop. With proper humidification, and _de_
humidification, this problem is minimized. Again, I'll have to keep
closer watch on some of these DC installed units when tuning, to see
what patterns develop. I know some pianos where the de-humidifier bar
is practically never on.

Thanks everyone, it's been enlightening hearing reports from other
areas, and re-assessing my assumptions about these units.

Happy Monday,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net