Bach & WT vs. ET

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:24:57 -0600

----------
> From: Anne Beetem <abeetem@wizard.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Bach & WT vs. ET
> Date: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 10:35 AM

Concerning Bach and ET.....
> This fallacy has just been republished in the new book,  "Music,
The Brain,
> & Ecstasy"  along with various other 20th century misconceptions.
> Otherwise it's a great book.   I just may contact the author and
encourage
> a corrected 2nd edition!
>
> Anne

Actually if the term ET is used  like the detractors of ET,  ie ET
can't really be tuned, only approximated, then Bach most probably
tuned an approximation.  But the problem is, so far no evidence has
been found that says exactly what he did, or was attempting to do.
The perplexing omission from Well Tempered Clavier or any of his
writings of any tuning instructions is the major problem  in the
histriography of how he actually tuned.
	Without evidence,  to say he did NOT tune ET is as much a fallacy,
to say he did tune ET.  It boils  down to a question of semantics.
Only one word is needed to "correct" the "fallacy"...  "probably" .
Richard The Real Moody