Plugs

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:25:54 -0400

Al Jeschke wrote:

> robert sadowski wrote:
>  >
>  > Dear List,
>  >     What type of glue is best for installing pinblock plugs?
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  > Bob Sadowski
>  > Erie, PA.
>  ==============================
>
>  Preferably a gap filling glue, such as CA or epoxy.  When installing
>  pinblock plugs some years ago I installed one with a good carpenters
>  glue, which to my dismay wanted to stick and was difficult to get to
>  the bottom of the hole.  Besides, air lock with carpenters glue was
> also a problem to the close fitting plug to hole.  All the other plugs
> were easily installed  with epoxy.  After the tuning pins were in
> place, the  pin in the plug glued with carpenters glue felt slightly
> spongy,  whereas the epoxy glued ones were as solid as regular
> pinblock.
>
>  Al Jeschke
>  Calgary, AB

Don't forget to saw a slot in the plug, so you don't get an air lock.
I used a good quality carpenter's yellow glue, and had no trouble, on an
older Bechstein with a split pinblock. There was just a section of about
eight pins, and it enabled the unit to be functional for a few more
years.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.