Aluminum Wound Strings

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:56:25 -0400

Newton Hunt wrote:

> It is remotely possible that they are aluminum.  More likely they are
> iron.  Using  scaling software you will be able to improve the overall
> bass scale and design a set of copper wound strings for the middle
> section that will more perfectly match the steel and wound bass strings.
>
> You can add five to six inches of better sound by rescaling the bass and
> treble and produce a easier tuned and more listenable piano.
>
> If you don;t want to do this yourself I can do it if you send me the
> specifications.
>
>         Newton
>         nhunt@jagat.com

I see quite a bit of reference to rescaling.
Are these programs readily available, and at a reasonable cost, for
someone that would only use the program a couple of times a year?
Has a comparison been done on the different programs, as to ease of use
and cost etc.
Do they do the whole piano, or just the bass?
Thanking the list in advance.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada