Yamaha hammer butt loops

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:38:53 EST

>I just spent the last 8 hours replacing all the hammer butt loops on a
>Yamaha M3.
>Greg Torres

<< Why not just replace the flanges with new ones?  Are they available from
Yamaha?
 Jon Page  >>

This was also my first reaction.  While changing the flanges can present new
alignment and traveling difficulties, you don't have to repin if the hammer
butt has a plate and even if you do have to repin, it is easier and quicker
than the tedious job of replacing that fine loop.

We all have spent a full day's work and gotten a half day's pay or less for it
many times over, I'm sure.  There may also be times when changing the loops is
what you have to do (perhaps with another make of piano).  The key to making
these kinds of tasks work for you is to learn to do them with the speed and
effiiciency of a factory worker.  If you approach your work the way Stephan
Birkett does though, you are not motivated by the clock but then again, you
are working on a rare antique, not a common, ordinary piano.

In those 8 hours, you could have tuned 4 or 5 pianos and that's what 8 hours
of your time ought to cost unless you are still learning the skill.  If that
is the case, the customer paid a fair rate for the work, you invested your
time in learning a new skill.
You both have gained from the experience, niether of you has lost.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison Wisconsin