Wippen support springs and action geometry

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:13:04 -0800

Dear Mike,

One thing about repetition that relates to touchweight components is that
actions with wippen support springs and therefore less lead in the keys
combined with hammers that are on the heavier side within the acceptable
weight zone will repeat like a bandit.  Wippen support springs are an
underutilized resource that are enjoying a come back with my work (we've
installed about 50 actions with 88 support springs), and with the Renner
"Turbo Wip".  One thing is for sure, wip springs will not fix an improper
HammerWt/ActionRatio combinations, those problems need to be adressed
directly.  Wip springs work  best in actions with that already have proper
weight/ratio characteristics.  I'm reaching the conclusion that they should
be applied to all actions.  In fact, in Europe we offer Stanwood Touch
Designs only with wip springs (European Style)
This is a whole subject that I would love further discussion on.  John Foy
and I will be teaching a class on the subject in Providence.

David Stanwood

http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood