Wippen support springs and action geometry

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:55:04 -0500

Hi David,

I caught your post and am very interested in what you had to say about the
turbo wips.  I have a faculty member whom I believe would really like the
feel of these.  She likes a very quick and light action with as little bump
from let off as possible.  What she calls a "European feel".  (She has a
Bechstein at home.)  She also, however, desires the ability to play very,
very softly.  I have to have let off and back check as close as possible.
In your opinion, am I barking up the right tree with these turbo wips?
Will I need to change the key weight?  Will I have problems with bubbling
hammers?

Thanks for your help.

chris

>Dear Mike,
>
>One thing about repetition that relates to touchweight components is that
>actions with wippen support springs and therefore less lead in the keys
>combined with hammers that are on the heavier side within the acceptable
>weight zone will repeat like a bandit.  Wippen support springs are an
>underutilized resource that are enjoying a come back with my work (we've
>installed about 50 actions with 88 support springs), and with the Renner
>"Turbo Wip".  One thing is for sure, wip springs will not fix an improper
>HammerWt/ActionRatio combinations, those problems need to be adressed
>directly.  Wip springs work  best in actions with that already have proper
>weight/ratio characteristics.  I'm reaching the conclusion that they should
>be applied to all actions.  In fact, in Europe we offer Stanwood Touch
>Designs only with wip springs (European Style)
>This is a whole subject that I would love further discussion on.  John Foy
>and I will be teaching a class on the subject in Providence.
>
>David Stanwood
>
>http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood
>

>>From: Michael Jorgensen <Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu>
>>Subject: Re: cents to cps .... need help.
>>
>>Hello David and List,
>>    I for one would be greatly blessed to have a better understanding of
>>geometry, weight ratios, cpin tightness, regulating, etc. particularly
>>on Steinways.  At Dearborn, LaRoy Edwards questioned his class,  "When
>>you decrease the blow distance, what happens to repetition?"  No one
>>knew!!!, and I learned two things.
>>     I'm totally interested in anything relating to repetition and what
>>could be done to improve it.  A few years back, I devoured Ken Sloans'
>>articles on Backchecks and extending Steinway hammer Tails and hammers
>>caught below the hammer line, etc.  If anyone wants to write more of
>>their own knowledge and experiences in this area I'll sure be reading!!!
>>- -Mike Jorgensen

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (614) 593-1429