Wippen support springs and action geometry

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 07:45:00 -0600

David:

The average weight of a wippen when supported by the flange is about 18
grams.  Would it not be feasible to adjust the wippen springs (with the
hammers up and out of the way) so that the wippen weight is just
neutralized (suspended)?

dave

_______________________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
______________________________________

----------
> From: David C. Stanwood <Stanwood@tiac.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Wippen support springs and action geometry
> Date: Thursday, March 12, 1998 12:11 AM
>
> Chris writes:
>
> >In your opinion, am I barking up the right tree with these turbo wips?
> >Will I need to change the key weight?  Will I have problems with
bubbling
> >hammers?
>
> >Thanks for our help.
>
> >chris
>
> Dear Chris,
>
> The bubbling I think your refferring to is the sort of bouncy key?  When
> the key comes up it bounces and bubbles as it comes to rest?  We've found
> that this occurs when springs are asked to do too much work.  We set up
> actions so that springs work 25 grams off the touchweight at most, Tops!
> Many actions are found with springs that are working as much as 40 grams
> off the touch. That's too much!   I've found this on pianos from Samick
> Bluthner.
>
> To measure how hard a spring is working just measure upweight with the
> spring disengaged.  Now engage the spring and measure upweight again.
The
> difference is haow hard the spring is working.  When upweight rises by 15
> grams, then balance weight and downweight will also rise by 15 grams.
(The